2018 Llanelli Art Society
Cymdeithas Gelf Llanelli
At the 1895 Llanelli National Eistddfod, Charles William Mansel-Lewis discussed the importance of bringing art into the lives of the working people of Llanelli. This was realised in 1907 when the first School of Art was opened in Castle Buildings, moving the following year to Coleshill Terrace, where it remained until 1946.
The first meeting of the Llanelli Art Society was held in 1927 in the presence of its chairman, Mr Derek E. H. Pratt ARCA, principal of Llanelli School of Art.
Along with Mr Pratt was Miss Ina Nancollas, New Road, the first secretary; Mrs Guinevere More of Cilymaenllwyd; Mr Walter Cole and Mr W. T. Anthony. The first, very active President was Lady Howard Stepney and several exhibitions were held in the scouts hall, the YMCA, and at the Art School.
The Society has gone from strength to strength over the years and has upheld its objective for the encouragement of the practice and appreciation of painting and sculpture in the town ever since.
At the time of Queen Elizabeth's Silver Jubilee in 1977, Llanelli Arts Society celebrated its Golden Jubilee with a large exhibition at the Mansion House, Parc Howard with 179 entries.
For its 80th Anniversary, a large copy of Paul Cezanne's "Apples and Oranges", was created by 64 members under the guidance of Ethne Phillips. It is now on permanent display at Prince Philip Hospital in the Peony Suite, the Breast Cancer Centre.
We look forward to celebrating our 90th anniversary later this year.